BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Suicide is not the answer

After attending the funeral of one of my friends husband about 6 weeks ago on Tuesday we were back at the same place to say goodbye to her son who would have turned 14 years old the day before he was buried.

He committed suicide on the 23rd of December in the backyard of the family home.

I know sometimes life gets hard and I know where these thoughts come from and I can relate to the not knowing what to do but it affects so many people around you.

The funeral was heartbreaking - one of his sisters spoke at the service and finished off with "and now the two special men in my life are gone". there were so many school kids there and hopefully the message that suicide isn't the answer got through to them.

My big beef was that there was all these 13 and 14 year old kids totally distraught and not a parent in sight. I know they are old enough but at times like this (it was probably the first funeral for a lot of them) some support would have been nice.

2 comments:

Crissy Gaylor said...

How sad! I too lost a boyfriend when I was 18 to suicide. I feel for those kids.

Anonymous said...

how heartbreaking for anyone to have to deal with death... let alone children so young..
i was 19 with my father was killed..i was sent in alone to say goodbye... were a lot of firsts for me that day that will also be my lasts... if it was not for Matt, i would have been totally alone the day of his funeral as well. Noone should have to be alone to deal with grief like that.
My heart breaks for all of those children.
xx